What a great challenge to resist the pull by society that encourages us to be like them (the ungodly). To walk like them, dress like them, think like them, talk like them, act like them...to love the same things that they love. And the embrace that we get when we do turn to the worlds ways, because we are like them. Don't you find it is a constant conscious decision NOT to be like the world. We have to determine that we are going to be set apart.
I thought it was a great description of fearing God. To trust Him, to know Him to respect and honor Him, so that we are not tossed to and fro. And dreading God (8:13)...not a demand for perfection, but the dread of displeasing Him, the dread of falling short. The idea that it is a passionate thing that causes you to want to please God. Not out of obligation, but out of desire.
So grateful that God is my sanctuary. My place of refuge. My shelter. My rock. My hiding place. That in times that are unsure, I have the God most high to cling to.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kay's talk was challenging about not conforming to the world. I love the vs. before about Jesus is Emmanuel - God with us. My favorite Christmas song and one of my favorite holiday thoughts as we worship God who IS WITH US. (p.s. confession time...I didn't do the study on my own yet on lesson 19, just listened to the message...)
I did do the lesson now. I was impressed by these verses: 2 Kings 16 "he did not do waht was right in the eyes of the Lord His God" and 1 Peter 2:11 "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul."
Post a Comment