Thursday, September 18, 2008

America at the Crossroads- lesson 8

This lesson was very sobering. The reality of the decline of our country since the 1960's. I had not considered the points that have been brought out about the changes our country has "developed" since the near recent past.

The idea of the media having such a persuasion on the public is concerning. I recently saw a blog post that was pointing to the different US Weekly covers that favor one candidate and slam the other. (HERE) The idea that repeating the lies often enough convinces the public. I guess that shows how we lack discernment and wisdom.

I am quick to admit that I am the first to "stick my head in the sand" and not want to be made to look at the ugly truth. It seems that the Holy Spirit is bringing the truth to the light so I can be an effective vessel of God. I have been challenged to not just turn into my comfort zone, but turn outward to be used be God.

3 comments:

Lee and Bev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee and Bev said...

Today I was convicted that nothing in God's word is "elementary." Truth is truth and should not be taken lightly. As I think about the criteria for voting, I do want to consider all of those 10 points in making my decision. I realize, however, that in listening to the media and the pundant commentaries, I do become persuaded or caught up into their net. I think Kay's recommendation to listen to the speeches, debates, etc and then turn off the TV and make my own decision is an excellent point.

Rachel said...

"I think Kay's recommendation to listen to the speeches, debates, etc and then turn off the TV and make my own decision is an excellent point."

I couldn't agree more! My husband watched the last few videos with me and said this was something he had never considered. Even though he tends to watch a news channel that falls in line with much of our beliefs (wonder which one?) he said we still should turn it off and sit in prayer waiting for God to "speak the replay" to our hearts.