Friday, September 12, 2008

America at the Crossroads- lesson 4

"If a country sins..." This being the title of the 4 lesson really got me thinking. After the encouragement to pray for forgiveness for our country on Thursdays, I have been thinking about how much we have sinned against God. Ez. 14:13 has really grieved me about being part of an unfaithful country. Aside from all the basic sins that pop to the top of the list, I have been really thinking about those idols of the heart. The ones that aren't as obvious to everyone. Selfishness, insecurity, pride, judgmental spirit, greed. Sad to say, the list can go on. I think it is fair to say our country has sinned, and in a huge way.

The 4 judgments were also sobering. In fact, you don't have to look hard to see evidence of those judgments. And what a wonderful challenge to live righteously. Not only as an example to those around us, but to glorify God in heaven. I was even more grateful that the Holy Spirit has prompted a hunger and a thirst for righteousness in my own life. Drawing me closer to God and giving me a desire to live by what God says is right. I am praying that I live in a way that shows the truth of God to others that see me.

I can personally attest to calamity in my life that has a purpose and an order to bring deliverance in my life. To turn me toward God and to draw me to Him in righteousness. Again, I am so glad that you are joining me as we strive to walk in a manor worthy of the calling.

4 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

I thought it was so helpful as well to see judgement as having the purpose of deliverance. Loved the phrase, "the devine woodshed". As parents dicipline our kids in love, we can understand God's discipline more. Also, it was good to think of the idea that God may send calamity to bring people back to Himself. And that God blesses those who do what's right!!

Rachel said...

You are so right Susan. This is the same thing that stuck in my mind as I completed lesson 4.

Looking at our nation and the wrath of God...looking at my individual sin and remembering Jacob wrestling with God and an earlier study I did explaining that in wrestling we/you are brought close. To wrestle you have to come close, in your personal space, very intimate and that Jacob was under persuit by God.

This is just where my mind took me on lesson 4.

Can't wait to hear from others as well...

Lee and Bev said...

On Lesson 5 I was struck by the reference to abortion - somehow when I was studying Ezek 22, I didn't even think of abortion - but of so many other "bloddy" sins. When you add abortion into it - it is so sobering and I feel so ashamed that we so lightly think about this and regard it as an inconvenienece. "God be merciful to us as a nation of sinners!"

Chuck Peters said...

I think the idea of a COUNTRY sinning is a bit of an odd idea to a lot of people.

(A lot of people won't even admit that they sin as individuals. - Sin is a word that people avoid... it isn't politically correct. Instead we make "mistakes" - Mistakes are accidents... you don't have to apologize for an accident... and you don't have to feel guilty about a mistake... when we call sin what it is... "sin", it changes the weight of the event. Sin isn't a mistake, it's an offense against God.)

Still, the idea of a country sinning is a really interesting thought. I generally think of individuals sinning, not nations. It could apply to both the leadership of a nation, and/or to the majority of the population. In either case, the fact is, God raises up and knocks down nations. - America was founded as a nation under God, but our country doesn't have a Christian profile any more. I am fully aware that many nations (even empires!) have risen and fallen, and God is the one who authors history. I hope our nation turns back to God and changes its ways, but I fear that God will one day judge America for turning its back on Him.