Monday, September 8, 2008

America at the Crossroads- lesson 1

I wanted to get a post up on the first lesson for anyone to have an opportunity to share any insights that you may want to share. Or even ask a question to each other if you had one. I have been able to do the lesson but I haven't watched the lesson on TV or online yet. I was, again, in awe of how important it is to have a reverence for our almighty God. A respect of His power. A healthy fear of Him.

The lesson also gave me a desire to evaluate what "idols" might be in my life that I need to surrender and repent from. Not living in a society that has carved idol images, sometimes it is a little harder to think of things as idols (maybe easier for those missionaries that are more alert of idol worship).

One last quick thing, I have come to realize how important it is to ask the Holy Spirit to be my resident teacher as I study the scriptures. There are still many times that I am not sure of what the answer may be and sometimes it takes a little longer for me to figure it out. Let me encourage you as your studies begin each day to ask the Spirit to guide and lead as He sees fit.

I hope these next 10 lessons (just think this will be a quick but deep study) are a blessing to us and I pray that they encourage us to walk in a manor worthy of the calling.

14 comments:

DebiH. said...

What are the observation worksheets?
I have completed lesson 1 of the study guide and I had the video set to record today. I am hoping that it did record so that I can watch it tonight.

Lee and Bev said...

Oh my! The "who" are Builders! That's me! We should be the ones showing the way and instead we're the ones with the idols and distractions that are pointing the younger ones "in the way of the ungodly." Lord, may my life not get distracted and may others see Christ in me! Be merciful to us and forgive us for causing our country to be in such a sorry state.

DebiH. said...

The episode I recorded for today was the last in a lesson on Ephesians. Cris, were you able to find it on local TV or online?

Rachel said...

I have shared with Cris that when I attended Deeper Still in Atlanta this was the very thing Kay spoke about. Her passion, fear and burden for this country and all that she shared was remarkable.

One quote she made during the Deeper Still event was, “All through history they have burned the word of God. People have tried to rid the world of the word of God. But they can't destroy or change it because it will live forever”. This hits my very core and goes along so well with the statement made on the video that it has never been darker in America. But even still…the Word will live forever!

I think this was the first time I had been asked to give examples of our nation’s idols. Many times in the past I have looked internally at my own idols and prayed that God help me extinguish the hold they have on my life and that He bring to the forefront of my mind anything that may be an idol that I do not even realize, that He may deal with it in my life but never until today have I tried to pull out idols of our nation.

And then it happened…

John came into the room where I was studying (always happens) and quickly flipped on the television. I quickly gave him the “I can’t believe you just flopped down on the couch and turned on the TV when I am trying to study” face and began to gather my “stuff” to come upstairs. In the few minutes it took to collect and straighten behind myself I saw maybe three commercials and it was as if God gave me direct visual insight into the idols of our nation within those few moments.

Fame, Wealth, Sex, Pride, Ability, Authority or need there of, Celebrity…

Just to name a few.

I look forward to the days ahead in this study and ask God to bless and walk with each of us as we dig deeper into His Word.

DebiH. said...

Idols that are external...material possessions, wealth, professional success,beauty, fame... those came to my mind first. Idols that are set up in the heart (Ezekiel 14:7) make me think more of pride, lust, selfishness. After thinking about it a few more minutes, I noticed that those external idols usually lead to a change of heart and a separation from God (Ezekiel 14:7). For example, allowing myself to begin to focus too strongly on success will soon build pride in my heart. Allowing beauty to become an idol can lead to lust in the heart. What is sobering is how easily I, as a Christian, can be swept up in the idols of our nation.

Rachel said...

WOW Debi...what a great comment! I never thought of idols like that.

Can I get your blog address.

crispy said...

Hey Debi, Sorry that I have been away from my computer this afternoon. I tried to watch the recorded lesson from this morning and I noticed it was the last Ephesians lesson. I have mine set to record more than once a day so I will have to see what else recorded. If it didn't air today, it should tomorrow.

crispy said...

Oh, the observation worksheets are the scriptures that are used printed out in NASB. You don't have to print them but I like to use them. I have also printed the text from Biblegateway.com (like for the Ephesians study, since this one is using different texts, I think it might be worth printing the observation worksheets.

crispy said...

Interesting that you guys mentioned those idols that our country deals with. Success, money, celebrities and TV were ones that came to mind today for our country.

I still haven't seen the lesson, I just did my own work sheet and questions. I am away from home tonight and I look forward to finishing lesson 1 with listening to Kay share.

So far I feel like we need to be serious about seeking forgiveness for America's sins against God.

Hope you were all blessed and challenged.

Tim and Susan said...

Tim just preached a sermon on idols in our lives...Girls, Gold and Glory are the usuals...but I think success, being comfortable, power, things (house,clothes, decorations,) job...even family or romance could be idols...
Lord, Help me turn from these idols to serve You (1 Thes. 1:9)

I really liked listening on-line. I didn't even watch it, just listened, radio style.

crispy said...

I am so thrilled that there are a few of us doing this...

BTW, Susan is my sister and Bev is my Mom (both living in the west). Debi is a IRL friend (in-real-life) that lives near me now and Rachel is a true sister in Christ that I will meet someday (this side of heaven).

DebiH. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DebiH. said...

Cris, I think you are right, the Precepts for Life episode should be the new study today. I set the DVR yesterday for all 3 times but they were the same. All the last lesson on Ephesians. Thanks for your help! I watched it online.

Twyska said...

You can get a podcast of the video from oneplace.com. I have it downloaded to itunes and you can watch it there anytime. I plan on doing this study,but I'm sure I'll be a bit behind ya'll.