Friday, April 17, 2009

Philippians - Count it All Joy - lesson 3

This lesson lets us understand that when Paul describes himself as a bond-servant, we see that this a voluntary slave. This is the person who wants to stay and serve forever. This is one who serves a fantastic master. This one understands that this master cares for the bond-servant. What a beautiful picture of God as our master. This is how Paul identifies himself, as a bond-servant of God.

Then we learn that when Paul interacted with Lydia (seller of purple) 11 years earlier, that resulted in the beginning of a church which included overseers and deacons. I spent my personal study time listing the qualities that are required for these rolls of leadership. It was good to focus on these qualities and understand that God has guidelines for leaders of the church.

Kay, in the online lesson, encourages us to keep a list of things that we learn about different topics in the study. Specifically, prayer in this lesson. I have taken this advice in other studies that I have done with Precepts and I have really appreciated what I have learned. I do go back and reference those lists and use what I have discovered in my own study time.

How neat to find comfort in God's truth. He who began a good work in me, will perfect it until the Day of Christ.

2 comments:

Tim and Susan said...

I loved this lesson! What a neat reminder...we are BONDSERVANTS of the Lord. We choose to serve Him with our lives, we wouldn't want it anyother way. (Glad I don't have to have a big gaping whole im my ear...eee! Great Historical backgroud.)

Erlinda said...

what a wonderful reminder that God CHOSE me & in this is security, it wasn't anything that I have done. Yes, I will choose to be a bondservant...a VOLUNTARY slave, because I want to be identified in Him. I want to live for Him alone.